COVID-19 Update: The Pantry of Greater Portland will re-open Saturday, April 4.
We want to ensure those in Portland experiencing food insecurity can receive food during this pandemic while also taking measures to safeguard volunteer and shopper health. Therefore, we have updated our food pantry procedures to follow government recommendations until the pandemic has passed. These procedures are effective April 4 and are as follows below:
COVID-19 Shopping Procedures
- As shoppers enter the property, cars will be directed to the lower parking lot where everyone is asked to remain in their cars until directed to drive to the front of the church.
- At the front of the church, shoppers will be given a pre-filled box of food at their cars and then will proceed away from this area.
- Those who would like a second box of food may wait in the upper parking lot until all have been served. Then they will be directed, one car at a time, to the front of the church and receive a second box, while supplies last.
- Those taking public transportation will walk to the sign for foot traffic. While waiting you will distance yourself 6’ or more from others waiting. You will be handed a box of food. Those who would like a second box of food may wait in the upper parking lot until all have been served, then they will be directed, one person at a time, to the front of the church and receive a second box, while supplies last.
- Can I pick what kind of food I receive in my box?
No, not at this time.
- Can I request a halal, vegetarian, kosher, gluten free or other dietary specific box?
No, not at this time. Do I need to bring my own bags or boxes?You do not need to bring your own boxes or bags.
- How are you safeguarding the health of your volunteers?
We have thoroughly cleaned the pantry. All workers will wear gloves and masks while sorting, packing boxes and giving out food boxes.
The Pantry of Greater Portland is an ongoing food assistance ministry operating on Saturdays at Greater Portland Bible Church. Food is sourced primarily from three local supermarkets who generously set aside and donate meat, vegetables, dairy products, bread, frozen items and other non-canned goods. Anyone is welcome to come and shop for food, especially those who have a need.
Main Church Entrance
Food is collected during the week from three local supermarkets and distributed on Saturday at 1:30pm. When shoppers arrive at 1:30pm they are given a numbered ticket. Shoppers line up in the order of their ticket number. Five shoppers enter the Pantry at a time where volunteers help them move through the Pantry choosing foods they would like. Volunteers let shoppers know how much each family will be able to pick up that day based on current inventories. The Pantry contains meats, frozen items, vegetables, fruits, breads, dessert, eggs, dairy products and flowers. Grocery items and quantities vary from week to week. Therefore, the quantity of groceries given out each week varies. If you forget to bring your reusable bags, boxes are available for you to use to carry your groceries home.
We serve more than 50 families a week with our Saturday food pantry. Do you have a heart for serving in a practical and life-giving way? We need volunteers to sort food, hand it out, clean-up afterwards, or simply smile and warmly welcome each who come through our doors.
We have four teams that volunteer together one Saturday per month to operate The Pantry. Positions on these teams are available in varying commitments of time ranging between 2-3.5 hours and run between the hours of 11am-2:30pm. Volunteer positions could include sorting and storing incoming food from participating grocers, setting up for the food distribution, and helping our guests receive food and our encouragement. Join this dynamic and growing ministry by contacting Janice at or by calling the church office, 503.452.9375.
Thank You Donors!
We would like to extend our deepest appreciation to the following grocers for their generosity and partnership in providing the food resources that make the Pantry of Greater Portland possible:
Trader Joe's (15391 SW Bangy Rd, Lake Oswego, OR 97035)
WinCo Foods (7500 Dartmouth Rd, Tigard, OR 97223)
Fred Meyer (11565 SW Pacific Hwy, Portland, OR 97223)
Panera Bread (10230 SW Washington Square Rd, Tigard, OR 97223)
If you are a grocer and would like information about donating to the Pantry of Greater Portland, please contact Janice Fry, Pantry Director, at . Thank you!
If you would like to make a donation to support The Pantry of Greater Portland, click the button below, and choose "Food Pantry Donation" on the drop down menu.GIVE TO THE PANTRY